Complaints and misconduct procedure


 The West Midlands Police and Crime Panel is responsible for handling complaints about the conduct of the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC).

If your complaint alleges criminal conduct we will record it then refer it to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) for investigation. If you send your complaint directly to the IPCC they will send it to us to record it.

Non-criminal complaints are dealt with by the Panel, usually through a process called informal resolution. This is where the Panel mediates between both parties to solve, clarify, explain or settle the matter without investigation or formal proceedings.

If you have an ongoing complaint, we would normally require that complaint process to be completed before we look into the matter.

For more information please read our Guide to Making a Complaint (below).

If you wish to make a complaint complete our online complaint form.

Alternatively, you can complete the Word or PDF complaint form (below) and send it to:


or post: WMPCP, Scrutiny Office, Council House, Victoria Square, Birmingham, B1 1BB.

The full version of the Panel’s Complaints Procedure can also be downloaded below.

There are some complaints we can’t look into because we do not have the legal power to do so. There are separate procedures for the following complaints:

  • Complaints about operational policing matters or the performance of West Midlands Police or any of its officers are dealt with by the West Midlands Police Professional Standards Department.
  • Complaints about the Chief Constable and the West Midlands Office for Policing and Crime staff, including the Assistant PCCs and Non-Executive Board Members are dealt with by the Police and Crime Commissioner.
  • Complaints about the administration of the Police and Crime Panel should be sent to Birmingham City Council Your Views.
  • Complaints about the conduct of individual Panel Members should be directed to their council Standards Board.

Related Documents

WMPCP Complaints and Misconduct Procedure June 2016

WMPCP Guide to making a complaint June 2016

WMPCP Complaint Form (Version Jun16)

WMPCP Complaint Form (Version Jun16) (Word version)



 Posted by at 1:23 pm